Thursday, July 04, 2013

Haroo

Haroo is a cozy Korean restaurant found on Alexandra Road in Richmond. Venturing out to Richmond to eat is normally a rare occurrence for me so I had high hopes for this popular place.


We were first served some mini appetizers, which were congee, salad and some sort of fish variety side dish. I appreciated this small touch as it is different from your typical Korean eatery.


The usual banchan, or side dishes, followed. Everything was tasty and I liked the variety.


So the first thing we ordered to share was the Haemul Pajeon or seafood pancake. It was served on a rack, unlike most places where it is directly on the hot plate, so the pancake wasn't too oily. The pancake was of substantial thickness such that it wouldn't fall apart when you pick it up with chopsticks (cough ahem Jang Mo Jib), while retaining a nice outer crunch. Although this was my favorite part of the meal, the seafood pancake is a tad on the pricier side at ~$18.



Here is my taxi driver, Hubert, with his Beef Teriyaki Rice Clay Pot. No complaints from his end. "IT WAS DELISH" were his exact words haha.


For myself, I ordered the Seafood & Black Bean Sauce Teriyaki Rice Clay Pot. Despite its name, the dish was actually on the bland side and I ended up using the hot sauce that accompanied Hubert's meal to add a kick to the rice bowl.


My boyfriend ordered the Bulgogi Sundubu or tofu soup. I would say that the soup is predominantly sweet and savoury, based on the few spoonfuls I had. On the other hand, my boyfriend commented that while it was initially sweet to taste, the soup quickly became bland after eating the side dishes, which tend to be more flavorful and salty. He also mentioned that the dish could have used more bulgogi because there was more tofu than anything.

To summarize, I think that our individual dishes were on the average to good side but it was the seafood pancake and the variety of side dishes that really pulled the meal together as a whole. Since our dinner was not bad in any aspect, I wouldn't hesitate to return to try their numerous and inexpensive lunch combos.

Haroo Korean Homestyle Cuisine on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment